Battleborn

Battleborn, the 2016 shooter from the developer of Borderlands Gearbox, is coming to a halt soon, with servers due to go offline on January 25.

 Battleborn is an online-only game, so the title will be completely unplayable once the servers go dark. A developer who worked on the game, Aaron Linde, has now written a passionate statement about what the game meant to them and more.

Battleborn's servers will go dark in a few weeks. When they do, it will be like the game never existed at all. All of the work, love and blood that went into this game will go with it and I'm so sorry about it, ”Linde said on Twitter.

Linde went on to say, “I'm grateful to everyone who's ever told me that gambling means something to them. For every line I repeated to myself. I hope something will live on in your memories as it will live on in mine (and in the VO stack that I keep saved in three different places)

The developer, who was the senior editor for Battleborn, said they were happy to create a “weird, wild and bizarre universe” with the game.

Building such a weird, wild and bizarre universe with and all of my wonderful Gearbox colleagues was just about the best experience I could have asked for to create a new IP address. I miss you and love you all, ”Linde said.

Linde is now a Senior Narrative Designer at Halo 343 Industries Studio. The developer ended his post on Battleborn by promising to make another “weird” game one day.

I swear to myself now that someday, damn it, I'm going to do something as weird, personal and idiosyncratic as Battleborn again,” Linde said.

Anyone who has a Virtual Currency allowance for Battleborn can continue to spend it until the servers are offline. Players can continue to earn this currency through gameplay, but it can no longer be purchased with real money.

Ahead of Battleborn's release, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said the developer has invested more in the game than any other project before. “We invested more than Borderlands 1 and 2 put together in Battleborn,” he said at the time. “And we don't even know if people will be interested or not.”

Gearbox's last game was Borderlands 3 of 2019, and it was a huge success, becoming publisher 2K's best-selling game. Gearbox also publishes games from other developers, the most recent being the PS5 / PC game Godfall from Counterplay Games.

source/gamerant